Re: Booting a modular kernel through a multiple streams file

From: Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 20:15:47 EST

On Saturday 22 December 2001 19:42, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Dave Cinege wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 December 2001 14:10, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >>Note that Al is working on a replacement; he's not just bitching. The
> >>replacement is called "initramfs" which means populating a ramfs from
> >>an archive or collection of archives passwd by the bootloader. With
> >>that in there, lots of things can be done in userspace.
> >
> > Already done for many months (actully years) now. If I thought it
> > would be accepted, I'd gut rd.c and fully merge it into a 2.5 patch.
>
> Viro's going quite a bit beyond this, though.

Disaster is the word that comes to mind when I think about the last
initramfs patch I looked at (be it several months ago)

> Also, a big key is the
> ability to have multiple images, some of which may not be compressed.

Initrd Dynamic already supports multiple tar.gz archives. If I thought
their was a need I could support uncompressed tar's with a few small
changes.

I've patched GRUB to support loading the mutiple images. It would also
be supported in syslinux, if you choose to implement it. Months
ago when I asked you to implement it, you told me the idea was
stupid. : P I will never let you forget this myopia. : >

Dave

--
The time is now 22:54 (Totalitarian)  -  http://www.ccops.org/