Re: PROBLEM: arcnet bugs in 2.4.x

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 03:48:32 EST

> arc0: arcnet_header: Yikes! skb->len(0) !=3D len(18)!
> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 000=
> 00064
> printing eip:

It looks like the drivers are making a few assumptions about headers and
length they shouldn't be. I don't think anyone is maintaining ARCnet any
more, all those who worked on it before have moved on to more real
networking. Its one of those things that may well just vanish in 2.5 if
nobody becomes a maintainer.

Looking at the code it looks like arcnet_header is a bit fragile when handed
non random "normal" network layer frames.

The length check is redundant (and wrong) - which explains the message, but
the oops isn't obvious from inspection. Probably you want to turn on debug
and see where in the build/rebuild of the header it dies

Alan