Re: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.help.

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 14:37:19 EST

Steven Cole <scole@lanl.gov>:
> I've obviously been wrong all along on this, but I had always assumed
> (incorrectly) that mega when applied to binary things really meant
> 2 to the 20th, and that the confusion came from disk manufacturers who
> chose whatever definition made their products seem bigger.
>
> So, if we really want to be pedantically correct, let's all swallow
> _really_ hard, and go all the way on this. Or, are the UGLY changes
> below actually technically wrong?

Alas, I don't know.

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave. -- "Political Disquisitions", a British republican tract of 1774-1775 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/