Re: aio

From: Luigi Genoni (kernel@Expansa.sns.it)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 09:38:49 EST

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, David S. Miller wrote:

> From: Bill Huey <billh@tierra.ucsd.edu>
> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:07:16 -0800
>
> And using lkml as a AIO forum is probably outside of the scope of this list
> and group.
>
> This whole thread exists because Linus wants public general and
> technical discussion on lkml of new features to happen before he
> considers putting them into the tree, and the fact that they are not
> in the tree because he isn't seeing such enthusiastic discussions
> happening at all.

YES, and he is right doing so.

> I don't think AIO, because of it's non-trivial impact to the tree, is
> at all outside the scope of this list. This is in fact the place
> where major stuff like AIO is meant to be discussed, not some special
> list where only "AIO people" hang out, of course people on that list
> will be enthusiastic about AIO!
agreed

> Frankly, on your other comments, I don't give a rats ass what BSD/OS
> people are doing about, nor how highly they rate, Java. That is
> neither here nor there. Java is going to be dead in a few years, and
> let's just agree to disagree about this particular point ok?
mmhh, java will not be death untill a lot of commecial software will use
it for graphical interfaces.
Infact it is simpler and cheaper for them to use java, and so we have to
deal with this bad future, where a dead language will be keept alive by
software houses.
That said, should we care about this? In my opinion, NO. and why we
should? when there are no good technical reasons, political reasons should
please disappear.

Luigi