Re: Consistant complete deadlock with kernel 2.4.16 on an Abit VP6 with dual 1 Gig CPUs and an ICP GDT RAID card

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 09:10:26 EST

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:22:47 -0500,
"T. A." <tkhoadfdsaf@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know how I could debug the cause of this problem? Machine
>deadlocks. Not even an Ooops so I'm short on ideas on how to track the
>problem down. Please help. 8-( My new SMP system sucks on Linux. 8-(

Compile for SMP and boot with nmi_watchdog=1. If the problem is
hardware that will not help. If the problem is a software loop in
kernel space (much more likely) then the nmi watchdog will trip after 5
seconds.

You might also find the kernel debugger to be useful,
ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/download/ix86. See Documentation/kdb
for man pages. Using the pause key on a PC keyboard or control-A on a
serial console will drop into kdb, unless the kernel has stopped
processing interuupts, in which case the nmi watchdog should trip and
drop you into kdb.

For all low level debugging, I strongly recommend a serial console so
you can capture the output on another system, see
Documentation/serial-console.txt.