Re: aio

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 01:12:45 EST

   From: Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@redhat.com>
   Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 01:07:42 -0500

   1 process. 1 cpu machine. 1 gige card. As much ram as you want. No
   syscalls. Must exhibit a load curve similar to:

           | .
           |.
           +----------------x

   Where x == requests per second sent to the machine and y is the number
   of resposes per second sent out of the machine. Hint: read the phttpd
   and /dev/poll papers for an idea of the breakdown that happens for larger
   values of x (make the cpu slower to cause the interesting points to move
   lower). For a third dimension to the graph, make the number of total
   connections the z axis.

Ok, TUX can do it. Now list for me some server that really matters
other than web and ftp? If you say databases, then I agree with you
but I will also reiterate how the people who need that level of
database performance is "nook and cranny".

I think there is nothing wrong with doing a TUX module for situations
where 1) the server is important for enough people and 2) scaling to
the levels you are talking about is a real issue for that service.