Re: aio

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 00:47:18 EST

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, David S. Miller wrote:

> Not precisely my thrust, which is that AIO is not important to any
> significant population of Linux users, it is "nook and cranny" in
> scope. And that those "nook and cranny" folks who really find it
> important can get paid implementation+support of AIO.

I disagree - we can probably make the aio by Ben quite important. Done
right, it becomes a very natural way of doing event handling, and it could
very well be rather useful for many things that use select loops right
now.

So I actually like the thing as it stands now. What I don't like is how
it's been handled, with people inside Oracle etc working with it, but
_not_ people on the kernel mailing list. I don't worry about the code
nearly as much as I worry about people starting to clique together.

                Linus