Re: aio

From: Cameron Simpson (cs@zip.com.au)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 21:52:21 EST

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 06:47:18PM -0800, David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com> wrote:
| (Though an attitude like yours is a core reason Java is
| spreading as slowly as it is - much like Linux desktops...)
| It's actually Sun's fault more than anyone else's.

Debatable. But fortunately off topic.

| However, heavily threaded apps regardless of language are hardly likely
| to disappear; threads are the natural way to write many many things. And
| if the kernel implements threads as on Linux, then the scheduler will
| become much more important to good performance.
| We are not talking about the scheduler, we are talking about
| AIO.

It was in the same thread - I must have ignored the detail switch. Ignore
me in turn. But while I'm here, tell me why async I/O is important
to Java and not to anything else, which still seems the thrust of your
remarks.

--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding, DoD #0236, martin@plaza.ds.adp.com - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/