Re: problem with smb

From: George B. Magklaras (semaphore@jack.see.plym.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 08:23:30 EST

Thodoris Pitikaris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In our institute we have a cluster system with 6 sytems that have the
> following
> configuration :
>
> CPU: PIII 1GHZ/133 MHZ (DUAL)
> MOTHER: Intel Server Board STL2 (intergrated Intel pro/100+ & Adaptec
> Ultra 160 SCSI) Chipset ServerWorks OSB4
> NET CARD: 3COM Broadcom BCM5700 (Gigabit)
> RAID Cont. : AMI MegaRAID (only in PBS server)
> HDD: IBM Model: DDYS-T18350N
> MEMORY: 512MB/133Mhz
> OS: REDHAT 7.1 with Default Kernel (2.4.7)
>
> What the problem is : The PBS server after some time freeze, with no
> error message from kernel Just freeze. We have changed everthing (even
> the tower)
> but nothing happened !
>
> Is there any sugestions ?
>
> Best Regards
>
> --thodoris
>
> -
> linux-kernel" in

Theodore,

You have to be a little bit more specific. You perceive that the PBS
freezes. Obviously this means that console access is completely
disabled. But are you sure that you can't for example ping the box, when
console access is impossible? Also you might not see any messages on the
console, but what about the /var/log files?

The hardware info is relevant, but can you also include the output of:

1)dmesg (After a reboot)
2)tail -300 /var/log/messages
3)modprobe -c
4)uname -a
5) cat /proc/pci
5)Write a script that will frequently execute the output of 'vmstat 3'
to a file and then when the box crashes, reboot and include the file in
your e-mail. This can help people track down something peculiar that
happens just before the box dies?

Then people that can help will take it from there...

Regards,

--
George B. Magklaras BSc Hons CLE
Computer Security Researcher