Re: The direction linux is taking (CVS)

From: Dead2 (dead2@circlestorm.org)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 16:21:55 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Brownfield" <brownfld@irridia.com>

> The CVS tree availability you mention parallels the FreeBSD tree, I
> believe. However, assuming enough brain cycles, one knowledgable
> maintainer seems to be a better method of maintaining a kernel.

Then positive and negative sides should be gathered from their experiences
aswell, it can be good for the outcome to follow something that has
been tested thoroughly by others.

*snip*

> I've been following lkml for some time now, and I've been using patches
> that get posted to the list. But I do so at my own risk, since I do not
> have comprehensive knowledge of kernel internels. But even I can tell
> that many of the patches posted are either bogus, are potentially
> incorrect in subtle and/or complex ways, or are simply working around
> user-space issues or other bugs.

Therfore only trusted maintainers should have access. Normal deadly
people like me would have to contact the maintainer(s) for that sub-tree.

> What might take out a few birds with one stone is to have someone on
> lkml become an "LKML MAINTAINER": collect patches and bug reports in a
> central place. This would include:
>
> 1) The patch and/or bug report
> 2) The entire LKML thread, with "important" messages marked
> 3) Personal input, prioritization, severity info, etc.

Or even make a kernel-patches@vger.kernel.org address that would be
parsed manually of automaticly..

*snip-snip*
> --