Re: [OT] DRM OS

From: Gábor Lénár (lgb@lgb.hu)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 15:56:32 EST

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 06:44:41PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 09:05:55PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> > > Remember DMCA ? Remember SSSCA ?
> >
> > I watch DVD's with DeCSS. Come and get me.
>
> Punishable by fines of up to $500,000 and 5 years
> in prison, per violation.
>
> That adds up quickly if you watch multiple movies
> a week.

Ehh. What if I don't want (let's say) I can't pay money for a DVD player
software? Is there any legal DVD player sw for Linux? For win it's not
solution for me since win is not legal unless I buy it :) So I can't watch
my own DVD disk according the law? Imho it's against the constitution of
most countries: if I beleive that Open Source is the RIGHT solution (let'say
this is my religion, namely: I beleive in freedom so I can only use open
source softwares :), then I can't watch DVDs. So I'm under detrimental
distinction because of my religion. Hmm ;-( [sorry it's very OT maybe some
linux-kernel-flame mailing list should be created, like linux-flame mailing
list in Hungary :)]

- Gabor