Re: Poor performance during disk writes

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 13:46:41 EST

File './Bonnie.2276', size: 1073741824, volumes: 1
Writing with putc()... done: 72692 kB/s 83.7 %CPU
Rewriting... done: 25355 kB/s 12.0 %CPU
Writing intelligently...done: 103022 kB/s 40.5 %CPU
Reading with getc()... done: 37188 kB/s 67.5 %CPU
Reading intelligently...done: 40809 kB/s 11.4 %CPU
Seeker 2...Seeker 1...Seeker 3...start 'em...done...done...done...
              ---Sequential Output (nosync)--- ---Sequential Input-- --Rnd Seek-
              -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per Char- --Block--- --04k (03)-
Machine MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU /sec %CPU
       1*1024 72692 83.7 103022 40.5 25355 12.0 37188 67.5 40809 11.4 382.1 2.4

Maybe this is the kind of performance you want out your ATA subsystem.
Maybe if I could get a patch in to the kernels we could all have stable
and fast IO.

Regards,

Andre Hedrick
CEO/President, LAD Storage Consulting Group
Linux ATA Development
Linux Disk Certification Project