Re: Scheduler ( was: Just a second ) ...

From: degger@fhm.edu
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 10:34:57 EST

On 18 Dec, Alan Cox wrote:

> The scheduler is eating 40-60% of the machine on real world 8 cpu
> workloads. That isn't going to go away by sticking heads in sand.

What about a CONFIG_8WAY which, if set, activates a scheduler that
performs better on such nontypical machines? I see and understand
boths sides arguments yet I fail to see where the real problem is
with having a scheduler that just kicks in _iff_ we're running the
kernel on a nontypical kind of machine.
This would keep the straigtforward scheduler Linus is defending
for the single processor machines while providing more performance
to heavy SMP machines by having a more complex scheduler better suited
for this task.

--
Servus,
       Daniel