Re: Scheduler ( was: Just a second ) ...

From: Martin Josefsson (gandalf@wlug.westbo.se)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 10:51:45 EST

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> >
> > 5: 46490271 XT-PIC soundblaster
> >
> > Approximately 4 times more often than the timer interrupt.
> > That's not nice...

  0: 24867181 XT-PIC timer
  5: 9070614 XT-PIC soundblaster

After I bootup I start X and then xmms and then my system plays mp3's
almost all the time.

> > > Which sound driver are you using, just in case this _is_ the reason?
> >
> > SoundBlaster 16

I have an old ISA SoundBlaster 16

> Raising that min_fragment thing from 5 to 10 would make the minimum DMA
> buffer go from 32 bytes to 1kB, which is a _lot_ more reasonable (what,
> at 2*2 bytes per sample and 44kHz would mean that a 1kB DMA buffer empties
> in less than 1/100th of a second, but at least it should be < 200 irqs/sec
> rather than >400).

After watchning /proc/interrupts with 30 second intervals I see that I
only get 43 interrupts/second when playing 16bit 44.1kHz stereo.

And according to vmstat I have 153-158 interrupts/second in total
(it's probably the networktraffic that increases it a little above 143).

/Martin