Re: 2.4.16 memory badness (reproducible)

From: Holger Lubitz (h.lubitz@internet-factory.de)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 09:27:44 EST

Andrea Arcangeli proclaimed:

> He always get vmalloc failures, this is way too suspect. If the VM
> memory balancing was the culprit he should get failures with all the
> other allocations too. So it has to be a problem with a shortage of the
> address space available to vmalloc, not a problem with the page
> allocator.

Leigh pointed me to your post in reply to another thread (modify_ldt
failing on highmem machine).

Is there any special vmalloc handling on highmem kernels? I only run
into the problem if I am using high memory support in the kernel. I
haven't been able to reproduce the problem with 896M or less, which
strikes me as slightly odd. Why does _more_ memory trigger "no memory"
failures?

The problem is indeed not vm specific. the last -ac kernel shows the
problem, too (and that one still has the old vm, doesn't it?)

Holger