RE: TCP LAST-ACK state broken in 2.4.17-pre2 [NEW DATA]

From: Mika.Liljeberg@nokia.com
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 04:33:51 EST

HI again Alexey,

We had the missing FIN retransmit problem recur a few times.

> It is possible _only_ if rto is at 120 seconds. It is the only case
> when retransmissions do not happen and this would be normal behaviour.
>
> For now it is the only hypothesis and it will be clear from
> /proc/net/tcp, whether is this right or not.

Again, 10.0.5.11 is Linux, 10.0.5.3 is Symbian. The FIN-ACK from Linux to
Symbian gets dropped. Symbian retransmits the FIN, which is acked by Linux.
Nothing happens after this. Linux eventually times out from LAST-ACK and
Symbian remains stuck in FIN-WAIT-2.

The dump plus /proc/net/tcp is attached. As you can see, no data is
transferred from Linux to Symbian, so the only RTT sample for Linux comes
from the SYN exchange (about 200 ms). So, something is wrong?

Cheers,

        MikaL

Mika Liljeberg Phone: +358 5048 36791
Nokia Research Center Fax: +358 7180 36850
P.O.Box 407 Email: mika.liljeberg@nokia.com
FIN-00045 NOKIA GROUP Office: Itämerenkatu 11-13,
Finland FIN-00180, Helsinki, Finland