Re: Limits broken in 2.4.x kernel.

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 18:11:07 EST

> Problem: Per-user process limits to not work correctly with a
> 2.4.x kernel.

> Say I want to limit a user to [5] processes.

> Example: Edit [/etc/security/limits.conf]
> user hard nproc 5 -or- @group hard nproc 5

> The result: The user cannot login.

> How to fix?

One thing I noticed when doing the BSD cred patch for 2.5.x is that
somebody broke the process accounting in 2.[45].x at least for the
case of reparent_to_init():
If you just charge current->user without moving over the process from
the old uid to the new uid (such as is done in kernel/sys.c with the
set_user() routine) then you risk seriously corrupting the counters.

I'm not sure really what the point was of setting the user in
reparent_to_init() in the first place, since it doesn't setreuid().

Cheers,
  Trond