APM driver patch summary

From: Thomas Hood (jdthood@mail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 13:28:13 EST

Stephen:

A number of patches to the APM driver have been submitted to
lkml recently. To summarize, these are (Did I miss any?):

Notify listener of suspend before notifying driver (Russell King)
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100819765228734&w=2
Fix idle handling (Andreas Steinmetz)
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100754277600661&w=2
Control apm idle calling by runtime parameter (Andrej Borsenkow)
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100852862320955&w=2

Each of these changes is required, IMHO. However, the Russell King
patch probably won't apply without modifications. Also, it needs to
be modified so that it will send a resume event to listeners in case
a driver rejects a suspend event that listeners have already
processed. I think that this change should wait for 2.5, improvement
though it be, because it changes the behavior of the apm driver in
a significant way.

The other patches ought to apply cleanly to 2.4.17 and are independent
of Russell's changes, so ought to go into 2.4.18-pre, I think. Can
you get them ready for Marcelo?

Cheers
Thomas Hood