Panic output

From: simon@baydel.com
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 04:57:03 EST

During writing a driver for a PCI board I experienced the hardware
hanging and I had to press the big red button. The hang was traced
using a PCI analyzer and I found that the driver, loaded as a
module, was taking a route which called panic. I changed
/proc/sys/kernel/panic to a non zero value and the machine started
to reboot on PCI hang. My problem is I never see any output on the
screen or in /var/log/messages. All the stuff I have looked at in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation suggests the messages should be
here. I am running a 2.4.0 kernel with a SuSE 7.1 installation. At
the hang time the system is running kde 2 and in a command
winow I have a tail -f /var/log/messages running. The first change I
see is the PC bios startup.

Please Help

Simon.