Re: 815EP Linux problem with 2.4.17-rc1 (fwd)

From: Cristiano Paris (c.paris@libero.it)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 06:05:57 EST

> I've recently bought a Asus Notebook, model L8490K which sports a 815EP
> chipset.
>
> I've installed the Slackware 8.0 distribution and soon recompiled the
> 2.4.17-rc1 kernel.
>
> After some time of using it I've experienced some kernel oops due to
> unhandled NULL pointer. I've just installed ksymoops so I'll try to debug
> the error myself but I would like to know which is the support status for
> this chipset. Have any problem been reported so far ?

The problem seems to occur only in kernel 2.4.x (I've tried both
2.4.17-rc1 and 2.4.13-ac5) but not in kernel 2.2.19.

Under Windows 2000 I haven't noticed anythoing strange.

The latest kernel oops I saw is :

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ....

while the call trace is :

EIP : __mark_inode_dirty()
try_to_free_buffers()
block_sync_page()