Re: 2.4.17-rc1 does not boot my Alphas

From: Michal Jaegermann (michal@harddata.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 00:50:13 EST

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 08:20:49PM -0500, Peter Rival wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>
> > I just happen to have an access right now to two Alpha machines,
> > UP1100 and UP1500, both with Nautilus chipset. Neither of these
> > can be booted with 2.4.16 or 2.4.17rc1.
>
> Try again, this time adding "srmcons" to the boot flags. You're croaking
> before we get the console set up under Linux

Thanks. I was not aware of this flag and this is a nice tip.
Unfortunately things lock up immediately before effects of this flag
can be felt. Even with this I am not getting a single line from
a kernel. I tried both on 1500 and 1100. Effects are exactly the same.

Tommorow I will try to graft 'arch/alpha' from 2.4.13-ac8 to 2.4.17rc1
just to see what will happen. Some changes have to be made before this
will even compile. I see that some 'nautilus_init()' function showed up
in 2.4.17rc1 which was not in 2.4.13-ac8. Hm....

I did boot 2.4.13-ac8 on UP1500 but in a short order I collected an
impressive array of "Machine checks" both "Fatal", although machine was
still running to an extent after that, and "Correctable". If somebody
wants to look at them I can oblige. :-) Nothing of that sort showed up
on UP1100 with the same kerel or with older kernels I was able to boot
on 1500.

  Michal