Re: can't compile 2.4.16

From: Tony Hoyle (tmh@nothing-on.tv)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 19:42:30 EST

Ben Carrell wrote:

> If you look at the 2.4.17-pre6 changelog you will see:
>
> - Create __devexit_p() function and use that on drivers which need it
> to make it possible to use newer binutils (Keith Owens)
> It comes from using the latest binutils, let me guess - you run debian
> sid? :) If you wish to compile 2.4.16, you need to downgrade binutils
> ...or try a pre-patch starting with 2.4.17-pre6

Has this fix been reverted? It isn't in -pre8 or -rc1.

net/network.o(.text.lock+0x17b8): undefined reference to `local symbols
in discarded section .text.exit'

It's kind of impossible to compile the kernel at the moment (even the
CONFIG_HOTPLUG fix mentioned doesn't work).

I tried downgrading binutils & it didn't work.. possibly I didn't go
back far enough. What is the newest version that is supposed to work?

Tony