Re: the name "framebuffer"

From: Mark H. Wood (mwood@IUPUI.Edu)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 07:20:57 EST

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 04:40:35PM -0500, Mihai Cartoaje wrote:
> As you may recall from chemistry classes, a buffer is a solutee that
> reduces pH variations. Since the initials VGA in IBM's display
> adapter stand for, "video graphics array," I recommend changing the
> name of the devices from "framebuffer" to "video array." I shall
> like to know what other people think.

Other people think that "buffer" is one of those words which have been
used for similar meanings in many disciplines. In computing it is a
region of storage used to reduce data rate variations. In materials
handling it is a machine for rubbing away surface imperfections in leather
or metal (reducing surface variations). In railroading it's a
spring-loaded piston used to absorb the energy of low-speed impacts
(reducing speed discrepancies). It could be applied to any mechanism
designed to mitigate unwanted differences.

Our lives are forever changed.  But *that* is exactly as it always was.