Re: swapping problem on kernel >= 2.4.14

From: Caleb Moore (donscarletti@ozemail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 22:28:24 EST

> > I have tried to change to kernel 2.4.16 from 2.4.13 and my system
> > crashes

> You can significantly raise probability of this being fixed with some
> investigation: does it crash with one swap partition? without swap
> partitions?
> with swap file? does it produce an oops? etc
> --
> vda

Ok I checked my system with one swap partition, no swap partitions and a
swap file. One partition resulted in a crash but after a longer duration
(two or three times as long. I cannot understand this). A swap file acted
in a similar way to the single swap. After removing all swap the system
was as stable as linux is rightly reputed to be.

The kernel does produce an oops when i crash it but for some reason the
screen blacks out a few minutes later and i am unnable to finish recording
the sym-debug stuff and cannot get useful information from it. It is not
logged by klogd and I don't get much further then the registers. The
message It gives me is unnable to handle kernel paging request at virtual
address 00015e00 although of course this adress changes.

Is there anything else I can do?