A return to PCI ordering problems...

From: Dale Amon (amon@vnl.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 14:03:16 EST

I looked back on the thread from last year and thought
that this would be well in hand by now. Either that or
I've missed something obvious or I've got an overly
unfriendly BIOS.

In any case, here is the problem:

        NIC on motherboard, Realtek
        NIC on PCI card, Realtek
        Monolithic (no-module) kernel
        Motherboard must be set to eth0

The PCI search order always makes the PCI card
eth0.

Tried various command line options:
        ethers=eth1,eth0
        ethers=eth0,eth1
        ether=x1,y1,eth1 ether=x2,y2,eth0
        ether=x1,y1,eth0 ether=x2,y2,eth1
        ether=0,0,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1
        ether=0,0,eth1 ether=0,0,eth0
        pci=reverse

In no case does the ordering get changed by the
command lines; in addtion, the pci=reverse does
not seem to be supported in 2.4.13. I see an
error message for it in dmesg.

I also played with some of the other pci= options, but
none of them seem to affect what is going on in a positive
fashion.

I'm now at the point where I'm wondering if something
in the kernel PCI ordering is just not working quite
right.