Re: Weird PCMCIA behavior

From: christophe barbé (christophe.barbe.ml@online.fr)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 06:26:20 EST

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 06:44:17PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Nope. CardBus looks like hotplug PCI to the kernel, so all normal PCI
> drivers automagically work as CardBus drivers. You actually need no
> userspace tools at all..

In my undertanding, if you compile drivers for your cardbus and for
attached peripherals as modules (and that make sense for cardbus
hardware), then you need the 'hotplug' userspace tool.

This tool is informed by the kernel that a new device is in and then is
responsible to insmod the correct driver(s) (mainly by looking in
modules.pcimap and friends) and to setup things like setup a network
when a network card is inserted ...

Is that wrong ?

Christophe

--