Re: death by ATA

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 17:45:58 EST

On Thu, Nov 15 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:
> What does "end-request: buffer-list destroyed" mean?

It means that the request was not sane anymore, or specifically that
clustered number of sectors was set to lower value than current number
of sectors (which isn't valid, of course). The buffer-list destroyed
comment tells you that this corruption is most likely due to the
buffer_head list on the request having been corrupted -- which in turn
probably means that someone seriously screwed this request.

hda8: bad access: block=5296, count=-2
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:08 (hda), sector 5296
hda8: bad access: block=5298, count=-4
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:08 (hda), sector 5298
hda8: bad access: block=5300, count=-6
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:08 (hda), sector 5300

This errors would seem to backup that theory :-)

Is this an SMP board? Also, is

end_request: buffer-list destroyed

the very first error message?

--