2.4.x has finally made it!

From: Alastair Stevens (alastair.stevens@mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 05:12:51 EST

For those who haven't seen it yet, Moshe Bar at BYTE.com has revisited his
Linux 2.4 vs FreeBSD benchmarks, using 2.4.12 in this case:

 http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1794/byt20011107s0001/1112_moshe.html

During the original benchmarks, using the newly-release 2.4.0, Linux was
largely hammered by FreeBSD, and exhibited all sorts of interactivity
problems under load, due to VM and other issues.

Well now, with the newer releases, we really seem to have caught up again.
The new VM, and the millions of other fixes since 2.4.0 have made all the
difference. FreeBSD is an impressive OS, and a worthy competitor with
a distinguished heritage - it's great to see Linux snapping at its
heels.

So congratulations to all kernel developers - 2.4.x has basically 'made
it' now, and months of hard work have produced a stable, high-performance
and cutting edge kernel. I'm looking forward to running the
cross-bred Linus / Alan 2.4.15 soon, and even more to 2.5.x - as Linux
heads onwards to new levels yet again.

Cheers
Alastair

Alastair Stevens