Low-level help needed with leds

From: david.heremans@siemens.atea.be
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 06:49:18 EST

Hello all,

I'm writing to this maillinglist as a last resort, since reading books
and other peoples code didn't solve my problem, and it is on the vague
boundary of userspace/kernel.

I recently got hold of a nice little piece of hardware that must be
connected between the computer and the keyboard. You can program this
device by sending it bytes trough the keyboard-leds.
More about this device at http://www.andywarne.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/,
the device is called the I-Pac.

The programming protocol description I got from the maker of this hardware states this
sequence.
1. Set any led combination execpt all leds on.
2. Send five times all leds on.
3. The I-Pac will send a key-down code for the 'Y' (ready to program) or
'J' (jumper set to fixed) key.

I don't get this key code back.
I was wondering if I misunderstood the way the Linux kernel sends this
LEDs commands. Does it send extra led commands that I don't know about?
Maybe it doesn't send twice the same led formation since it would be a
logical optimisation? Honestly, I'm completely clueless by now, and
digging into the Linux source code is way to complicated for me, I
honestly tried but got lost in it (tasklets et all) :-(

I took the liberty of attaching a simplified version of
my programming tool. If some of the more knowledgable people here could
please help me out, thanks.

Sincerely,
David Heremans

PS: I'm not subscribed to this list, I just scan the archieves and
digests from time to time. So I you reply please put me in CC.
PPS: When compiling the c program I also got redefine warnings in
headers, sugestions to solve these are also welcomme, the include list I
use is a mix of other example programs, so I'm not sure which are the
exact ones to use.