What is standing in the way of opening the 2.5 tree?

From: Miles Lane (miles@megapathdsl.net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 16:51:27 EST

Dear Linus,

It seems like there has been the expectation that the 2.5
tree was about to be opened for at least the last two months.
Would you be willing to state what the remaining impediments
are to opening the tree? If you do so, it might help us
more quickly resolve the remaining issues so we can begin
implementing the many changes we have anticipated working on
in the 2.5 tree.

That said, I'll note that gaining clear agreement or at least
consensus in the design of the new 2.5 driver model may be a
prerequisite to opening the 2.5 tree. I'm not sure whether
your intent is to wait for further design discussions to take
place regarding other areas of major change.

Best wishes,

        Miles