Re: Poor floppy performance in kernel 2.4.10

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 13:13:45 EST

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Alain Knaff wrote:

> Register_disk seems to be related to partitions... and is yet another
> place where floppy_fops is handed out. And it doesn't seem to have a
> corresponding unregister_disk function, so this worries me
> somewhat. Who did that, and why didn't he contact me?

In most of the cases (and that includes floppy.c) unregister_disk() would
be invoked by unregister_blkdev(). The only exception (back then, now
we probably have more) would be SCSI. That stuff got frozen in the middle
of a merge by devfs inclusion (2.3.46 or so). Right now register_disk()
is no-op for partitionless devices.

> Good. But then, what's the point of devfs=only ? I assumed this was

Ask Richard. Maybe you will be able to get a straight answer. I hadn't...