Re: Other computers HIGHLY degrading network performance (DoS?)

From: Anuradha Ratnaweera (anuradha@gnu.org)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 22:05:05 EST

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 10:55:16PM -0400, Jeffrey H. Ingber wrote:

> I think this is what QoS and the like are for.

Well, we _are_ going to solve the problem using a firewall between the router
and the local area network.

But the real problem is a different one.

One machine begins an intensive downloading job. How can this degrade the
network performance even for ICMP packets between another machine and the
router? Notice that this can't be collitions because the download goes at
64kbps and the local network is 100 Mbps. Something funny is going on to
stop other people's packets.

Cheers,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.13)

True leadership is the art of changing a group from what it is to what it ought to be. -- Virginia Allan