Re: linux-2.4.13..

From: Anuradha Ratnaweera (anuradha@gnu.org)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 21:17:28 EST

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 11:40:26AM +0200, bert hubert wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 10:52:28PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > final:
> > - page write-out throttling
> > - Pete Zaitcev: ymfpci sound driver update (make Civ:CTP happy with it)
> > - Alan Cox: i2o sync-up
> > - Andrea Arcangeli: revert broken x86 smp_call_function patch
> > - me: handle VM write load more gracefully. Merge parts of -aa VM
>
> Why do we do the exciting VM things in 'final'? We are confusing people with
> pre-patches that are better than actual releases!

IMHO _nothing_ should be done for the final. A better alternative is to name a
stable pre kernel as a final without changes. In the current scenario, a final
kernel release is one which is _not_ tested.

Cheers,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.13)

The most important design issue... is the fact that Linux is supposed to be fun... -- Linus Torvalds at the First Dutch International Symposium on Linux