Re: Network device problems

From: Wilson (defiler@null.net)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 13:39:22 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Svedberg" <thsv@bigfoot.com>
To: "Jeff Garzik" <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>; <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: Network device problems

> > > Just updated to RedHat 7.2 and after compiling and starting my new
> > > kernel my network interfaces won't go up (not even lo), I get the
> > > following message:
> > > "ifup: Cannot send dump request: Connection refused".
> >
> > Yep. Newer initscripts from RedHat and Mandrake (and others?) require
> > CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV. initscripts runs, IIRC, iproute, which in turn
> > requires the netlink device.

Here's the relevant portion of the RELEASE-NOTES document from RedHat 7.2:

"The initscripts now use /sbin/ip (from the iproute packages) for most
operations. /sbin/ip requires the netlink and netlink routing features
of the kernel to function properly; it is impossible to make use of
the kernel's full routing functionality without these features. If you
are building your own kernel, make sure that CONFIG_NETLINK and
CONFIG_RTNETLINK are enabled."

They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression.
This was a lie and we could not let them publish it.
-- Nelba Blandon, Nicaraguan Interior Ministry Director of Censorship