Re: kjournald and disk sleeping

From: Marcos Dione (mdione@hal.famaf.unc.edu.ar)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 11:02:41 EST

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Hmm. I have a laptop running with all ext3 filesystems, and it has no
> problems spinning down the disk. I have not done anything to increase
> the flush interval of kjournald. It may be that kjournald is writing
> to disk because you have things which are trying to write to disk.

        indeed, seems that a lot of apps like to access the disk when
they're doing nothing. now I have two approaches: one is to find them all,
the other is to simply stomp almos all the apps, includin servers. tonight
I'll make some tests.

> I have all of the filesystems on my laptop mounted noatime (this breaks
> /tmp auto-cleanup, but oh well) and I have moved all of the entries from
> /etc/cron.hourly to /etc/cron.daily, as they are not so critical for me.

        this may help too, thanks.

--
"y, bueno, yo soy muy ilogico. lo que pasa es que ustedes me toman
demasiado en serio"