Re: kernel compiler

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 10:08:46 EST

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 10:31:08AM -0400, Frontgate Lab wrote:
> Just out of a need to know things :)
>
> What compiler do Alan Cox and Linus use to create the 2.4 series
> kernels?
>
> I am currently using RedHat's compiler gcc-2.96-85 and have been told
> not to do so because it "breaks things" .

This is likely due to the fact that some people are still living with
the misconception that all gcc-2.96 releases are buggy. They are not;
only early versions are.

gcc-2.95.[34] and gcc-2.96-(newer versions) are viable choices if you
want a working kernel. Some other versions might work, but then again,
they might not :-)
> So far it has not broken anything, but then again i am compiling kernels
> for use on my RedHat Distributions.
>
> The question would be .. how hard is it going to be for me to upgrade to
> gcc 3 + and will i get any benefit from it? WillI loose any
> advantages that i currently do have?

At the moment, gcc3 doesn't work too well with the kernel, and you won't
get any large benefit.

> Or can i still get what i need from compiling 2.4.12 or 2.4.13 with the
> compiler I have now?

Yes.

/David Weinehall
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </