Re: Allocating more than 890MB in the kernel?

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 23:04:20 EST

> I need to allocate about 3/4 of available memory in the kernel.
> If I had 2GB of RAM, I'd need to allocate 1.5GB. If I had 8 GB
> of RAM, I'd need to allocate 6GB. I just used 3GB/4GB because
> it's our current test platform.

The best you can do, IMHO:

1. reserve a 3 GB chunk of memory at boot
2. create a regular user process
3. have that process make a system call which will never return
4. in that system call, wipe out all memory mappings in the process
5. hand-craft a 3 GB memory mapping (0 GB virt --> 1 GB phys)
6. call your desired code, remembering to schedule by hand