Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.cx)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 14:00:34 EST

Hi Tudor.

> For reference, here is the full text of the DMCA subsection in
> question: (1201(2)):

> ``(2) No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public,
> provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service,
> device, component, or part thereof, that-

> ``(A) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of
> circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls
> access to a work protected under this title;

> ``(B) has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other
> than to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls
> access to a work protected under this title;

> or

> ``(C) is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with
> that person with that person's knowledge for use in circumventing a
> technological measure that effectively controls access to a work
> protected under this title.

So...let me see if I understand this correctly...

When the US President vacates office to make room for his successor, he
can then be prosecuted for "otherwise trafficing" in a "service" that
"has only limited commercial significance or purpose...other than to
circumvent a technological measure..." because AS A PART OF HIS JOB as
President, he received information from his advisors relating to matters
of national security, but is now legally barred from knowing that
information by this act?

That should be fun to watch...

Best wishes from Riley.