Re: RFC - tree quotas for Linux (2.4.12, ext2)

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 10:34:13 EST

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Jan Kara wrote:

> But how do you solve the following: mv <dir> <some_other_dir>
> The parent changes. You need to go through all the subdirs of <dir> and change
> the TID. This is really hard to get right and to avoid deadlocks
> and races... At least it seems to me so.

Provided you are tracking the total size in each directory, it's just a
matter of subtracting dir's size from the old parent, and adding it to the
new parent. (With suitable checks beforehand to avoid a result which
exceeds quota.)

James.

--
"Our attitude with TCP/IP is, `Hey, we'll do it, but don't make a big
system, because we can't fix it if it breaks -- nobody can.'"

"TCP/IP is OK if you've got a little informal club, and it doesn't make any difference if it takes a while to fix it." -- Ken Olson, in Digital News, 1988