Re: Two suggestions (loop and owner's of linux tree)

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron-office.nl)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 09:48:51 EST

In article <20011024143850.EAC2598410@oceanic.wsisiz.edu.pl>,
Lukasz Trabinski <lukasz@wsisiz.edu.pl> wrote:
>In article <1003933278.1496.6.camel@LNX.iNES.RO> you wrote:
>> chmod -R root.root linux/
>> after you have unpacked the tarball.
>
>Unnecessarily extra command :) Sometimes I can forget about this and then
>user with uid 1046 can modify my kernel source.

Simply unpack and compile the kernel as a normal user, not as root.
Only install the new kernel as root. Get into the habit of logging
in as a normal user and doing root stuff with 'su' or 'sudo'

Mike.

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.