Re: [Q] pivot_root and initrd

From: Werner Almesberger (wa@almesberger.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 19:20:23 EST

Eric wrote:
> Both the pivot_root(8) manpage and the <linux>/Documentation/initrd.txt
> document admonish us to do much more than shown below (chroot, relative
> pathing of pivot_root arguments, etc).

Correct, yes. Peter's procedure should work with the current
implementation, but it's safer to use the documented approach,
particularly if the solution is distributed to other people.

I currently don't have any plans for changing the pivot_root
implementation, but I wouldn't be surprised if something comes
up at some point in 2.5, since the overall boot architecture
needs a bit of work.

- Werner