Re: [Q] pivot_root and initrd

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 16:00:44 EST

Followup to: <ujkB7.3878$1%5.659642574@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>
By author: davidsen@tmr.com (bill davidsen)
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> I wasn't really asking about changing root after the system is up, the
> part needed is the uncompressing of the filesystem into a ramdisk root f/s
> or some such. After that it's pretty much open to any of several techniques.
>
> Getting the modules loaded to support the root f/s and run a little rc
> file to get things going is the bootstrap operation, and that's where
> initrd is vital. You really don't want to build a kernel for every
> machine if you have more than a few! One kernel and a few config and
> initrd files is vastly easier.
>
> What replaces the initial step?

We will definitely have initrd or initramfs to do this (initramfs is
using the initrd protocol to populate a ramfs from a tar/cpio image.)
However, when it comes up, it will be the root as far as the kernel is
concerned, and run /sbin/init (unless overridden on the kernel command
line, of course) like any other boot. None of this change_root and
/linuxrc special casing garbage.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt	<amsp@zytor.com>