2.4.12-ac5: IDE-SCSI kernel panic

From: Xavier Bestel (xavier.bestel@free.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 10:49:35 EST

on a CD with a read error, using IDE-SCSI, there has always been lots of
problems (at least for me).
After tons of errors in the logs (medium error/unrecovered error), I
tried to kill-9 the process reading the mounted CD (xine) without
success (one thread stuck in lock_page, the other <defunct>). I then
tried to reboot, but even before init started kill-TERM processes, I got
this (hand-copied from screen):

scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 1, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00 40 00
Info fld=0x437ea, Current sd0b:00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read error
 I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1105832
Incorrect segment count at 0xc01e4342nr_segments is 3f
counted segments is 19
Flags 0 0
Segment 0xd92e86c0, blocks 4, addr 0x1f983fff
Segment 0xd92e8660, blocks 4, addr 0x1f9847ff
[I'm not copying them all, around 25 of them]
Kernel panic: Ththththaats all folks. Too dangerous to continue.

        Xav