Re: 2.4.12 cannot find root device on raid

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@prodigy.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 10:12:14 EST

"Jeffrey W. Baker" wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have the following problem:
> >
> > kernel 2.4.12, md and raid1 compiled into the kernel.
> > /dev/hdb old linux installation
> > /dev/md0 -> /dev/hde1,/dev/hdg1 new installation
> >
> > When I boot my old installation the md device is automatically configured
> > by the kernel and I can mount it (reiserfs) without any problems.
> >
> > When I try to boot the new installation with the same kernel the md device
> > is initialized, but the kernel cannot mount the root device. I get msgs
> > about FAT problems and about mounting root as msdos.
> >
> > Here some config files:
> > lilo.conf:
> > image = /boot/lx-2.4.12
> > root = /dev/hdb1
> > label = old
> > image = /boot/lx-2.4.12
> > root = /dev/md0
> > label = new
> > optional
>
> To use a md as root, you need to add a kernel command line:
>
> md0=1,/dev/hde1,/dev/hdg1
>
> Put that in the append= line of lilo.conf or type it at the lilo command
> prompt.
>
> See also Documentation/md.txt in the Linux source tree.

The line you provide doesn't look anything like the two forms in the
md.txt you mention. Or rather it looks like a blending, but neither of
them is md0= in form. I have to look at the code to see which is
correct, possibly yours, since the
  append = "md=0,/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1"
line doesn't seem to work :-(

The md.txt says the persistent superblock form is:
  md=<md device no.>,dev0,dev1,...,devn
which doesn't seem to work for me.

--
bill davidsen (davidsen@prodigy.com)