Re: [RFC] New Driver Model for 2.5

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 06:03:44 EST

>> I forgot to mention to disable interrupts after the SUSPEND_NOTIFY call.
>> The idea is to allocate all memory in the first pass, disable interrupts,
>> then save state. Would that work? Or, should some of the state saving take
>> place with interrupts enabled?
>
>That looks ugly, because you'd need to add DONT_SUSPEND_NOTIFY, called
>when SUSPEND_NOTIFY fails.
> Pavel

No, interrupts have to be shut down between SUSPEND_SAVE_STATE and
SUSPEND_POWER_DOWN, I beleive.

SUSPEND_SAVE_STATE must run with interrupts enabled, as it's supposed
to both block new incoming IOs and wait for pending ones to complete (*).
It would be sub-efficient to force drivers to implement polled IOs for
this case.

SUSPEND_POWER_DOWN itself should perfectly be able to run with interrupts
disabled, I beleive, as must of the actual suspend sequence can be done
in SUSPEND_SAVE_STATE on most chips.

There is no problem with failure there. Just call RESUME_POWER_ON if
SUSPEND_POWER_DOWN failed (or later), then RESUME_RESTORE_STATE in
all cases. The driver knows from which state it comes from anyway,
and we don't have, I beleive, that strick VM need of separating
suspend from free's. Well... let's think more about it... we might
actually need to allocate memory in RESUME_RESTORE_STATE to create
new requests or whatever the driver need... but we can also do that
earlier, inside SUSPEND_NOTIFY (or just use whatever memory we
pre-allocated to save state). So it might make sense to have the
resume process be an exact mirror of the wakeup one, or not, maybe
just a matter of taste.

In most cases, keep in mind that most drivers won't need to implement
all of these.

Ben.