Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10

From: Patrick Chase (pchase2@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 21:48:38 EST

/> > So, then, just to satisfy my curiosity, how long until users of
Linux in/
/> > the U.S.A. will no longer be allowed to download new kernels?/

> Potentially about 12 months after the SSSCA is passed. At which point
you may
> well find only a binary only OS with enforced copy management is legal in
> the USA.

Not even then, unless you can convince each and every contributor to
relicense their contribution to you under something other than the GPL.
(My reading of the license is that there is _no_ legality-based
exception to the pertinent "derivative works" clause, though I could
easily be wrong). Your change summaries are your original work, so you
are of course free to withold information there at your discretion ;-)

-- Patrick