Re: Input on the Non-GPL Modules - legal nonsense

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 10:30:45 EST

Tim Bird wrote:

> Ben Greear wrote:

> > > The fact that it ends up GPL'd to be linked (legal derivative work sense)
> > > to the GPL'd code so you can link it to either but not both at the same time
> >
> > If you own the copyright to the small shim GPL piece, can anyone else
> > take legal action on your part? If not, then all you have to do is not
> > sue yourself for the double linkage and no one else can sue you either....
>
> I keep hearing this type of reasoning. It flat-out doesn't work
> this way in the legal system. This is similar to arguing that
> you didn't really stab someone if you threw the knife instead
> of holding it. ("But your honor, once the knife left my hand
> it really wasn't under my control...")

I'm not advocating this as a good thing to do, but I am curious: Can someone
else take action against this? I hope the answer is yes. This
whole thing begins to look like MS's attempts at securing digital music:
there are just too many ways around it. Either way,
I've had my say on this topic...and will let it RIP.

Ben

Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>