Re: 50MB kernel on ia64??

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 20:52:54 EST

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 19:00:38 -0600 (MDT),
Todd <todd@unm.edu> wrote:
>i've recently been trying to compile kernels on ia64 platform. i've
>resolved some compiler problems (thanks to help here and from redhat) but
>now i've got another problem: kernels built with the attached .config (or
>anything even vaguely similar--this one is for 2.4.7) are around 50MB in
>size! morevover, there's no vmlinux or bzImage target in the makefile
>once ia64 is selected as the architecture. i've been having problems
>getting the compiled kernels to boot, but i'm not sure if size is part of
>the reason.

The IA64 patch adds -g to CFLAGS. All the debugging information bloats
vmlinux. For the bootable kernel, I run

  strip -g vmlinux -o /boot/efi/vmlinux

You can boot from the unstripped vmlinux, the IA64 loader ignores the
debug data. But the oversized kernels are slower to load and they take
up a lot of space in /boot/efi. Don't understand your compile problem,
  make -j4 modules vmlinux
works for me in native IA64 mode (not cross compiling).