Re: The new X-Kernel !

From: Federico Sevilla III (jijo@leathercollection.ph)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 16:22:47 EST

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 at 22:03, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> Errrm ;-) It's very bad thing to hide boot messages even for novice
> users. They can't bugreport in this way ... I thing the best way would
> be the penguin logo at the top, and some pixel progress bar under Tux.
> The messages should remain IMHO.

I strongly agree with this. Besides, dislike of the "greek" kernel
messages is not universal to all newbies. I know a number of ultra-newbies
who actually like this, and have asked me to (they don't know how) remove
their Windows 9x bootup screens so that it feels "geekier". And these
people aren't geeks.

The good side to having decent kernel information at boot up is that users
inevitably remember _patterns_. They may not remember what the things
mean, but they'll sure know when something's suddenly different (if they
look, of course). And this leads to knowing the system more. In this sense
the bootup information is a good tool for the slow and painful process of
educating users, weening them from the shelter from information that a
number of other OSs provide.

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo@leathercollection.ph
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.