Re: Linux 2.4.11-pre4, extremely long umount times

From: Bob McElrath (mcelrath@draal.physics.wisc.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 23:02:27 EST

Andrew Morton [akpm@zip.com.au] wrote:
> Bob McElrath wrote:
> >
> > I'm running 2.4.11-pre4 with the ext3 patch and Andrew Morton's low-latency
> > patch on an alpha LX164.
> >
> > umount times are extremely long (> 30 minutes) for both ext2 and ext3
> > filesystems, though they eventually succeed.
> >
> > Is this a known problem?
> >

> Nope. It's possible to get swapoff durations of many minutes,
> but I don't think similar problems with unmount have been reported.
> Is there any disk activity? ps and top output? Any theories?

umount is using 100% of the cpu. I've been through four or five mount/umounts
and all of them hung like this.

> BTW: I'm faintly surprised to hear that ext3 actually works in
> 2.4.11-pre4. Quite a lot of things with which ext3 has an intimate
> relationship were changed....

I had to do some non-trival patch merging to fs/buffer.c and fs/super.c. It's
possible I did something wrong. Attached are the diffs between 2.4.11-pre4 for
those two files.

There's some low-latency business in buffer.c too. This may be a case of
overpatchitis.

Aside from the umount though, all the filesystems (ext2, ext3, and reiserfs)
seem to work fine. Machine has been up for about a day now.

Cheers,
-- Bob

Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu)
Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics